This is probably the closest I’ll ever get to Copacabana beach! The Parsa Duo (Elizabeth Remy and Dale Henderson) performing my music at Forte Copacabana on the 22nd May as part of this year’s Rio Harp Festival.
Venice!!! Alas, I’m not there…but my music is there today (17th June) at the Venice Biennale, in the Research Pavilion, as part of the multi-media event ‘Et in Arcadia Ego’. This includes performances of my harpsichord pieces ‘Pastorale’ and ‘Rondeau’, and excerpts from these are also used in the accompanying soundscapes. Many thanks to Assi, […]
Congratulations to Mari Mäntylä, whose latest CD has just been released! The disc opens with my four ‘London Blues’ pieces which Mari commissioned a couple of years ago. I’m very much looking forward to hearing this.
Tomorrow, in Staten Island, New York, Jon Wintringham will give the first performance of ‘Lyric Fragments’ for alto sax and piano. It’s a short piece that grew out of some previous vocal settings of Sappho.
Today, I have the first performance of ‘Pastorale 2’ for organ. This will be given by Ilpo Laspas, at the beautiful modern Karjasilta Church in Oulu. It would be great to be there – not only to hear the piece but to also get some real winter weather!!
This is probably one of the stranger pieces that I’ve written. ‘French Concerto’ was originally commissioned and premiered by Trio Dauphine in France (with Marie van Rhijn playing harpsichord), and I then made a version for the instrumentation of the Omni Ensemble in New York (with Rebecca Pechefsky on harpsichord). Although all the music is […]
Back from a great time in London – rehearsals in various venues, numerous drinks receptions, and a chance to hear ten performances of my music. And last Saturday, at Kings Place, Daniela Rossi gave a fantastic first concert performance of my ‘Orpheus’ for guitar and orchestra, as well as a beautiful interpretation of the Rodrigo […]
As many of you will know I did a compositional detour some years ago and spent a bit of time writing some pieces that can best be described as ‘concert tangos’. These continue to get played and recorded, and there’s a fantastic new CD out by the German quintet, Faux Pas. This includes ‘Milonga Azure’ […]
‘Et in Arcadia ego’. Over the years much has been written on exactly what these words mean (and to no great conclusion). So it’s refreshing to see an alternative approach. Tomorrow, in the lovely Organo Hall of the Helsinki Music Centre, these words will be explored through music, dance, auditory and spatial design; and within […]
I’m back in Penzance after a busy 10 days in Italy and Switzerland. While I was away Mari Mäntylä gave the first performance of ‘London Blues 1-4’ for decacorde (a ten string guitar), this was at Rencontres Musicales du Kreiz Breizh in France. Mari has also recorded the pieces for her next CD, and they’re […]
- London Blues 6 – recording June 12, 2018
- Serenata Notturna for guitar orchestra – premiere in Finland June 12, 2018
- Sound Sketches published by EVC Music Publications June 12, 2018
- Yoro in Madrid June 12, 2018
- Figures from Watteau – first performance June 12, 2018
- 19/07/18 What Guitar Trio in London at Kings Place
- 19/07/18 Ellipsos Saxophone Quartet in Salon de Provence at Salon de Provence
- 17/08/18 Paul and Kayleen Sanchez in Oakland CA at Piedmont Piano Company
- 18/08/18 Albert Kim in San Francisco at Mayback Studio for the Performing Arts
- 03/10/18 Mahan Esfahani in Bristol at St Georges Bristol
- 27/10/18 tbc in London at Kings Place
- 17/11/18 Mahan Esfahani in London at St Johns Church Wimbledon
- 28/11/18 Mahan Esfahani in Singapore at Victoria Hall